Sunday, August 23, 2015

Welcome Back!

Welcome back everyone!  I cannot tell you how excited I am to start a new school year here at Mahidol University International Demonstration School.  This is my first time in Thailand, but I have been teaching for about six years now at a school in Hawaii.  While I specialize in mathematics, I would always be more than happy to help you with any other subject you might need help in.  Don't hesitate to ask me any questions about any subject that you might need help with.  

I believe that every single student can learn, and each person must be challenged.  Learning occurs both in and outside the classroom, and I believe that you can grow as much from a "failure" as you can from a "success."  Don't be afraid of challenging yourself and always treat each situation as one that you can grow personally from.


Honesty and integrity in a classroom is key.  Admit when you do not know, ask for help in anything that you need, and try to view the classroom as a place for collaborative learning.  I am not always going to have the right answer - do not ever be afraid to speak up if you think you can explain it better than me.  I usually learn from you students as much as you might learn from me.  

This is your education, own it and love it.  My hope and goal is that we will learn so much more than mathematics in my classroom.  While we can explore the world around us using mathematics, this is not our only mode of learning.  Do not be afraid to bring in any outside knowledge and contribute that to the collective whole.  

You are what makes the learning process exciting and fun.  

I am here to be your collaborator, not your professor.  Let's take this journey in learning together. 

Richard Tumin



No comments:

Post a Comment